NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Intensive Care Medicine
Specialist Registrar in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care
MBBS | PhD | FRCA
Simon completed his undergraduate training at Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ School of Medicine, and began his training in anaesthesia and intensive care in south London, before undertaking an Academic Clinical Fellowship in the north central London School of Anaesthesia. He completed his PhD at Imperial College, London during which he explored the role of regulators of the endogenous inhibitor of nitric oxide synthase, asymmetric dimethylarginine, in sepsis. Simon joined the University of Cambridge in 2016 to undertake an NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer post to complete his clinical training and develop his research programme.
The endogenous regulation of vascular endothelial nitric oxide production in sepsis.
Key words: nitric oxide, nitric oxide synthase, sepsis, endothelium, inflammation
Publications: see Critical Care Group Publications
- S Lambden, D Martin, K Vanezis, B Lee, James Tomlinson, S Piper, O Boruc, M Mythen, J Leiper. Hypoxia causes increased monocyte nitric oxide synthesis which is mediated by changes in Dimethylarginine Dimethylaminohydrolase 2 expression in animal and human models of normobaric hypoxia. Nitric Oxide. 2016; 58:59-66
- MA Kirkman, S Lambden, M Smith. Challenges in the anesthetic and intensive care management of acute ischemic stroke. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2016;28:214–232
- S Lambden, P Kelly, Z Wang, B Ahmetaj, M Nandi, B Torondel, M Delahaye, L Dowsett, J Tomlinson, B Caplin, O Boruc, A Slaviero, S Khadayate, B Lee, J Leiper. Dimethylarginine Dimethylaminohydrolase 2 regulates Nitric Oxide production, haemodynamics and vascular responsiveness under basal conditions and outcome in polymicrobial sepsis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2015; 35:1382-1392
- Z Wang, S Lambden, V Taylor, E Sujkovic, M Nandi, J Tomlinson, A Dyson, N McDonald, S Caddick, M Singer, J Leiper. Pharmacological inhibition of DDAH1 improves survival, hemodynamics and organ function in experimental septic shock. Biochem J. 2014; 460:309-316
- S Lambden, Dr C De Munter, Dr S Gautama, Dr M Cooper, Dr N Sevdalis. The Imperial Paediatric Emergency Training Toolkit (IPETT) for use in paediatric emergency training: Development and evaluation of feasibility and validity. Resuscitation. 2013; 84:831-836
- S Walker, N Sevdalis, A McKay, S Lambden, S Gautama, C Vincent. Unannounced In Situ Simulations: Integrating Training and Clinical Practice. BMJ Qual Safe. 2013; 22:453-458
- S Lambden and B Martin. The use of Computers for perioperative simulation in anesthesia, critical care and pain medicine. Anesthesiol Clin. 2011; 29:521-531
- S Walker, S Brett, A McKay, S Lambden, C Vincent, N Sevdalis. Observational Skill-based Clinical Assessment tool for Resuscitation (OSCAR): Development and validation. Resuscitation. 2011; 82:835-44.
- S Lambden, G Tunnicliffe. Clinical skills training offers sustained benefits over experiential learning alone in foundation trainees. International Journal of Clinical Skills. 2010; 4:78-86
- S Lambden, J Akeru, N Barrett. Acute intravascular haemolysis secondary to meropenem administration in a 64 year old man. Can J Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 17:64-66
- Dr. G. Howsam, Mr. A. Sharma, Dr. S. Lambden, Mr. P. Prinsley. Bilateral objective tinnitus secondary to middle ear Myoclonus. J Laryngol Otol. 2005; 119:489-91
- L Vele, A Pool, S Lambden, O Long. Trainee Development and Educational Supervision. Training Professionals – a novel way of working; RCoA Bulletin 86. 2014
S Lambden and C Summers. Bridging the translational gap – the challenges of novel drug development in critical care. In: Annual Update in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. In Press. Springer (Heidelberg, Germany)