University Lecturer in Intensive Care Medicine
Honorary Consultant in Intensive Care Medicine
Research Lead for the John V Farman Intensive Care Unit
BSc (Hons) | BM | PhD | MRCP | FFICM
Charlotte graduated in both Biomedical Sciences and Medicine from the University of Southampton, and later undertook a PhD at the University of Cambridge investigating the role of inflammation on the pulmonary transit kinetics of human neutrophils, alongside specialist clinical training in Respiratory (East of England) and Intensive Care Medicine (London). She was subsequently appointed as the UK’s first NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Intensive Care Medicine, and went on to be awarded a Fulbright All-disciplines Scholar Award and a Wellcome Trust Fellowship for Postdoctoral Clinician Scientists. Charlotte joined the University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine in 2015 from University of California, San Francisco, where she had been Assistant Professor in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.
Elucidating the cellular mechanisms of acute pulmonary inflammation to identify novel targets for therapeutic intervention in critically ill patients.
Keywords: neutrophils, endothelium, pulmonary, respiratory failure, mechanical ventilation, physiology
Publications: see Critical Care Group Publications
- Summers C, Singh NR, Worpole L, Simmonds R, Babar J, Condliffe AM, Gunning KE, Johnston AJ, Chilvers ER. Incidence and recognition of acute respiratory distress syndrome in a UK intensive care unit. Thorax 2016; 71:1050-1051.
- Juss JK, House D, Amour A, Begg M, Herre J Storisteanu DML, Hoenderdos K, Bradley G, Lennon M, Summers C, Hessel EM, Condliffe AM and Chilvers ER. ARDS neutrophils have a distinct phenotype and are resistant to phophoinositide 3-kinase inhibition. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2016; 194:961-973.
- Hoenderdos K, Lodge K, Hirst RA, Chen C, Palazzo SGC, , Emerenciana A, Summers C, Angyal A, Porter L, Juss JK, O’Callaghan C, Chilvers ER, Condliffe AM. Hypoxia up-regulates neutrophil degranulation and potential for tissue injury. Thorax 2016; 71:1030-1038.
- Millar FR, Summers C, Griffiths MJ, Toshner MR, Proudfoot AG. The pulmonary endothelium in the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome – insights and therapeutic opportunities. Thorax 2016; 71:462-473.
- Summers C, Singh NR, White JF, Mackenzie IM, Johnston A, Solanki C, Balan KK, Peters AM, Chilvers ER. Pulmonary retention of primed neutrophils: a novel protective host response, which is impaired in acute respiratory distress syndrome. Thorax 2014; 69:623-629.
- Summers C, Chilvers ER, Peters AM. Mathematical modelling supports the presence of neutrophil de-priming in vivo. Physiological Reports 2014; 2:e00241.
- Proudfoot AG and Summers C. Killing without collateral damage: A new hope for sepsis therapy. Immunol Cell Biol 2014; 94:739-40.
- Farahi N, Singh NR, Heard S, Loutsios C, Summers C, Simmonds RP, Solanki CK, Solanki K, Balan KK, Ruparelia P, Peters AM, Condliffe AM, Chilvers ER. Use of 111-Indium-labelled autologous eosinophils to establish the in vivo kinetics of human eosinophils in healthy subjects. Blood 2012; 120: 4068-4071.
- Singh N, Johnston A, Peters AM, Babar J, Chilvers ER, Summers C. Acute lung injury results from failure of neutrophil de-priming: a new hypothesis. Eur J Clin Invest 2012; 42: 1342-1349.
- McGovern NN, Cowburn AS, Porter L, Walmsley SR, Thompson AA, Summers C, Willcocks LC, Whyte MKB, Condliffe AM, Chilvers ER. Hypoxia inhibits respiratory burst activity and killing of staphylococcus aureus in human neutrophils. J Immunol 2011; 186: 453-463.
- Szczepura KR, Ruparelia P, Solanki CK, Balan KK, Newbold P, Summers C, Chilvers ER, Peters AM. Measuring whole-body neutrophil redistribution using a dedicated whole body counter and ultra-low doses of 111Indium (whole body counting). Eur J Clin Invest 2011; 41: 77-83.
- Cowburn AS, Summers C, Dunmore BJ, Farahi N, Hayhoe RP, Print CG, Cook SJ, Chilvers ER. GM-CSF causes a paradoxical increase in the BH3-only protein Bim in human neutrophils. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2011; 44: 879-887.
- White JF, Cowburn AS, Summers C, Cadwallader KA, Mackenzie I, Prasaedom RJ, Peters AM, Chilvers ER. The influence of the spleen on neutrophil apoptosis in vivo. J Cell Death 2011; 4: 1-5.
- Ruparelia P, Szczepura K, Summers C, Solanki CK, Balan KK, Newbold P, Bilton D, Peters AM, Chilvers ER. Quantification of 111In-neutrophil migration into the lungs of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2011; 38: 911-919.
- Summers C, Rankin SM, Condliffe AM, N Singh, Peters AM, ER Chilvers. Neutrophil kinetics in health and disease. Trends Immunol 2010; 31:318-324.
- Ruparelia P, Szczepura K, Summers C, Peters AM, Chilvers ER. 99mTechnetium-labelled neutrophil scanning in pneumonia. Thorax 2009; 64:92.
- Gooptu B, Miranda E, Nobeli I, Mallya M, Purkiss A, Leigh-Brown SC, Summers C, Phillips RL, Lomas DA, Barrett TE. Crystallographic and cellular characterisation of two mutations stabilising the native fold of alpha1-antitrypsin: implications for rational drug design. J Mol Biol 2009; 387:857-68.
- Cowburn AS, Condliffe AM, Farahi N, Summers C, Chilvers ER. Advances in neutrophil biology: clinical implications. Chest 2008; 134: 606-612.
- Durrington HJ, Summers C. Recent changes in the management of community acquired pneumonia. Brit Med J 2008; 336:1429-1433.
- Enoch DA, Summers C, Brown NM, Moore L, Gillham MI, Burnstein RM, Thaxter R, Enoch LM, Matta B, Sule O. Investigation and management of an outbreak of multidrug-carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii in Cambridge, UK. J Hosp Infect 2008; 70:109-118.
- Proudfoot AG and Summers C. Respiratory disorders: ARDS in Cardiothoracic ICU. In Core Topics in Cardiothoracic Critical Care 2nd edition. Eds: Valchanov K, Jones, N, Hogue, C. Cambridge University Press, UK, in press.
- Summers C and Belligan G. Therapeutic strategy for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). In: Oxford Textbook of Critical Care Medicine 2nd edition. Eds: Webb A, Angus D, Finfer S, Gattinoni L, Singer M. Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Loutsios C, Farahi N, Summers C, Ruparelia P, White JF, Potts J, Solanki CK, Solanki K, Heard S, Gillett D, Balan KK, Condliffe AM, Peters AM, Chilvers ER. Use of Radiolabelled Leukocytes for Drug Evaluation in Man. In: Pharmaco-Imaging in Drug and Biologics Development: Fundamentals and Applications. Eds: Moyer BR, Chevuvu, Hu TCC. Springer, New York, 2014.