Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Career Development Fellow
Honorary Consultant in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine
BSc (Hons) | MB ChB (Hons) | PhD | MRCP | FRCA | FFICM
Andy trained in Glasgow and Edinburgh, before undertaking a PhD in the Centre for Inflammation Research at the University of Edinburgh with Professors John Simpson and Timothy Walsh. His research is centred around nosocomial infection in intensive care and the immune defects found in critical illness. During his PhD he identified C5a as a key mediator of neutrophil dysfunction in critically ill patients, and demonstrated how this may lead to secondary infections such as ventilator associated pneumonia. He moved to Cambridge to complete his training in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, and continue his research into the mechanisms which underpin innate immune dysfunction in critical illness.
- Mechanisms of C5a-mediated neutrophil dysfunction, with Dr Alex Wood.
- Neutrophil-Treg interactions
- Collaborator on a study of rapid diagnostic biomarkers in ventilator-acquired pneumonia (Chief Investigator, Prof J Simpson)
Publications: see Critical Care Group Publications
- Alves J, Alp E, Koulenti D, Zhang Z, Ehrmann S, Blot S, Bassetti S, Conway-Morris A, Reina R, Teran E, Sole-Lleonart C, Ruiz-Rodríguez M, Rello J and SANEME-2 Investigators. Nebulization of antimicrobial agents in mechanically ventilated adults in 2017: an international cross-sectional survey. Eur J Clin Micro Infect Dis, in press.
- Dorward D, Lucas CD, Doherty MK, Chapman GB, Scholefield E, Conway Morris A, Felton JM, Kipari T, Humphries D, Robb CT, Simpson AJ, Whitfield P, Haslet C, Dhaliwal K, Rossi AG. Novel role for endogenous mitochondrial formylated peptide-driven formyl peptide receptor 1 signalling in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Thorax 2017; 72:928-936.
- Conway Morris A, Wilson J, Shankar-Hari M. Immune activation in sepsis. Critical Care Clinics, On-line October 12 2017.
- Conway Morris A, Gadsby N, McKenna JP, Hellyer TP, Dark P, Singh S, Walsh TS, McAuley DF, Templeton K, Simpson AJ, McMullan R. 16S pan-bacterial PCR can accurately identify patients with ventilator-acquired pneumonia. Thorax 2017; 72:1046-1048.
- Datta D, Conway Morris A, Antonelli A, Warner N, Brown KA, Wright J, Simpson AJ, Rennie J, Hulme G, Lewis SM, Mare TA, Cookson S, Weir CJ, Dimmick I, Keenan J, Rossi AG, Shankar-Hari M, Walsh TS, for the ExPRES Sepsis Investigators. Early PREdiction of Severe Sepsis (ExPRES-Sepsis) study: protocol for an observational derivation study to discover potential leucocyte cell surface biomarkers. BMJ Open 2016; 6:e011335.
- Hellyer TP; Anderson NH; Parker J; Dark P; Van Den Broeck T; Singh S; McMullan R; Agus A; Emerson LM; Blackwood B; Gossain S; Walsh TS; Perkins GD; Conway Morris A; McAuley DF; Simpson AJ Effectiveness of a biomarker-based exclusion of ventilator-acquired pneumonia to reduce antibiotic use: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial (VAPrapid-2). Trials 2016; 17:318
- Conway Morris A, Datta D, Shankar-Hari M, Weir CJ, Rennie J, Antonelli J, Rossi AG, Warner N, Keenan J, Wang A, Brown KA, Lewis S, Mare T, Simpson J, Hulme G, Dimmick I, Walsh TS. The predictive value of cell-surface markers in infections in critically ill patients: protocol for an observational study (ImmuNe FailurE in Critical Therapy (INFECT) Study). BMJ Open, 2016; 6:e011326.
- TJ Nolan, NJ Gadsby, Hellyer TP ,Templeton KE, McMullan R , McKenna JP, Rennie J, Robb CT, Walsh TS, Rossi AG, Conway Morris A*, Simpson AJ*. Low-pathogenicity Mycoplasma species alter human monocyte and macrophage function and are highly prevalent amongst patients with ventilator-acquired pneumonia. Thorax 2016; 71:594-600. (* these authors made an equal contribution)
- Gadsby NJ, Russell CD, McHugh MP, Mark M, Conway Morris A, Laurenson IF, Hill AT, Templeton KE Comprehensive molecular testing for respiratory pathogens in community-acquired pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis 2016; 62:817-23.
- Hayhoe S, Navapurkar V, Conway Morris A. The use of enoximone in management of anaphylaxis complicated by labetolol use. BMJ Case Reports. 2015; 2015. pii: bcr2015212432
- Scott J, Harris GJ, Pinder EM, Macfarlane JG, Hellyer TP, Rostron AJ, Conway Morris A, Thickett DR, Perkins GD, McAuley DF,6, Widdrington JD, Wiscombe S, Baudouin SV, Roy AI, Linnett VC, Wright SE, Ruchaud-Sparagano MH, Simpson AJ. EPAC activation reverses neutrophil dysfunction induced by b2-agonists, corticosteroids and critical illness. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 137:535-44.
- Gadsby NJ, McHugh MP, Russell CD, Mark H, Conway Morris A, Laurenson IF, Hill AT, Templeton KE. Development of two real-time multiplex PCR assays for the detection and quantification of eight key bacterial pathogens in lower respiratory tract infection. Clin Microbiol Infect 2015; 21:788.e1-788.e13.
- Hellyer TP, Conway Morris A, McAuley DF, Walsh TS, Anderson NH, Singh S, Dark P, Roy AI, Baudouin S, Wright SE, Perkins GD, Kefala K, Jeffels M, McMullan R, O’kane C, Spencer C, Laha S, Robin N, Gossain S, Gould K, Ruchaud-Sparagno MH, Scott J, Browne EM, Macfarlane JG, Wiscombe S, Widdrington JD, Dimmick I, Laurenson IF, Nauwelaers F, Simpson AJ. Diagnostic accuracy of pulmonary host inflammatory mediators in the exclusion of ventilator-acquired pneumonia. Thorax 2015; 70:41-7.
- Browne E, Hellyer TP, Baudouin SV, Conway Morris A, Linnett V, McAuley DF, Perkins GD, Simpson AJ. A national survey of the diagnosis and management of suspected ventilator-associated pneumonia. BMJ Open Respir Res 2014; 1:e000066.
- Moncayo-Nieto OL, Wilkinson TS, Brittan M, McHugh BJ, Jones RO, Conway Morris A, Walker WS, Davidson DJ and Simpson AJ. Differential response to bacteria, and TOLLIP expression, in the human respiratory tract. BMJ Open Resp Res 2014; 1:e000046.
- Jones RO, Brittan M, Anderson NH, Conway Morris A, Murchison JT, Walker WS, John Simpson A. Serial characterisation of monocyte and neutrophil function after lung resection BMJ Open Resp Res 2014; 1:e000045
- Jiwaji Z, Nunn K, Conway Morris A, Wyncoll D, Simpson AJ, Rossi A, Walsh T. Leuco-depleted blood transfusion does not produce an inflammatory response in critically ill adults, results from a randomised controlled trial. Transfusion 2014; 54:2404-11.
- Brittan M, Barr LC, Anderson N, Conway Morris A, Duffin R, Marwick JA, Rossi F, Johnson S, Dhaliwal K, Hirani N, Rossi AG, Simpson AJ Functional characterisation of human pulmonary monocyte-like cells in lipopolysaccharide-mediated acute lung inflammation. J Inflamm 2014; 11:9.
- Ferguson GD, Gadsby NJ, Henderson SS, Hardie A, Kalima P, Conway Morris A, Hill AT, Cunningham S, Templeton KE. Clinical outcomes and macrolides resistance in mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in Scot J Med Microbiol 2013; 62:1876-82.
- Conway Morris A, Anderson N, Brittan M, Wilkinson TS, McAuley DF, Antonelli J, McCulloch C, Barr LC, Dhaliwal K, Jones RO, Haslett C, Hay AW, Swann DG, Laurenson IF, Davidson DJ, Rossi AG, Walsh TS, Simpson AJ. Combined dysfunctions of immune cells predict nosocomial infection in critically ill patients. Br J Anaesth 2013; 111:778-87.
- Barr LC, Brittan M, Conway Morris A, McAuley DF, McCormack C, Fletcher AM, Richardson H, Connell M, Patel D, Wallace WA, Rossi AG, Davidson DJ, Manson L, Turner M, Hirani N, Walsh TS, Anderson NH, Dhaliwal K, Simpson AJ. An RCT of peripheral blood mononuclear cell depletion in experimental human lung inflammation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 188:449-55.
- Barr L, Brittan M, Conway Morris A, Stewart A, Dhaliwal K, Anderson N, Turner M, Manson L, Simpson AJ. Pulmonary and systemic effects of mononuclear leukapheresis. Vox Sang 2012; 103:275-83.
- Dhaliwal K, Scholefield E, Ferenbach D, Gibbons M, Duffin R, Dorward DA, Conway Morris A, Humphries D, MacKinnon A, Wilkinson TS, Wallace WA, van Rooijen N, Mack M, Rossi AG, Davidson DJ, Hirani N, Hughes J, Haslett C, Simpson AJ. Monocytes control second-phase neutrophil emigration in established LPS-induced murine lung injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2012; 186:514-24.
- Wilkinson TS, Conway Morris A, Kefala K, O’Kane CM, Moore NR, Booth NA, McAuley DF, Dhaliwal K, Walsh TS, Haslett C, Sallenave JM, Simpson AJ. Ventilator-associated pneumonia is characterized by excessive release of neutrophil proteases in the lung. Chest 2012; 142:1425-32
- Brittan M, Barr L, Conway Morris A, Duffin R, Rossi F, Johnston S, Monro G, Anderson N, Rossi AG, McAuley DF, Haslett C, Hirani N, Dhaliwal K, Simpson AJ. A novel monocyte-like subpopulation in the human lung following LPS inhalation. Eur Resp J 2012; 40:206-14.
- Conway Morris A, Hay AW, Swann DG, Everingham K, McCulloch C, McNulty J, Brooks O, Laurenson IF, Cook B, Walsh TS. Reducing ventilator-associated pneumonia in Intensive Care: impact of implementing a care bundle. Crit Care Med 2011; 39:2218-24.
- Conway Morris A, Brittan M, Wilkinson TS, McAuley DF, Antonelli J, McCulloch C, Barr LC, McDonald NA, Dhaliwal K, Jones RO, Mackellar A, Haslett C, Hay AW, Swann DG, Anderson N, Laurenson IF, Davidson DJ, Rossi AG, Walsh TS, Simpson AJ. C5a-mediated neutrophil phagocytic dysfunction is RhoA-dependent and predicts nosocomial infection in critically ill patients. Blood 2011; 117:5178-88.
- Conway Morris A, Forrest R, Campbell A. Thrombo-prophylaxis in intensive care: a nationwide, multi-disciplinary quality improvement project. JICS 2010; 11:2-6.
- Conway Morris A, Kefala K, Wilkinson TS, Moncayo-Nieto OL, Dhaliwal K, Farrell L, Walsh TS, Mackenzie SJ, Swann DG, Andrews PJ, Anderson N, Govan JR, Laurenson IF, Reid H, Davidson DJ, Haslett C, Sallenave JM, Simpson AJ. Diagnostic importance of pulmonary interleukin-1 beta and interleukin-8 in ventilator-associated pneumonia. Thorax 2010 65: 201-207.
- Lowder B, Guinane C, Ben Zakor N, Weinert L, Conway Morris A, Cartwright R, Simpson AJ, Rambaut A, Nubel U, Fitzgerald JR. Recent human to poultry host jump, adaptation, and pandemic spread of Staphylococcus aureus. PNAS 2009 106:19545-19550.
- Conway Morris A, Howie N. Pain in medical patients: an underrecognised problem? J R Coll Physicians Edin 2009; 39:292–5.
- Conway Morris A, Kefala K, Wilkinson TS, Dhaliwal K, Farrell L, Walsh T, Mackenzie SJ, Reid H, Davidson DJ, Haslett C, Rossi AG, Sallenave JM, Simpson AJ. C5a mediates peripheral blood neutrophil dysfunction in critically ill patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2009; 180:19-28.
- Conway Morris A, Kefala K, Simpson AJ, Wilkinson TS, Everingham K, Kerslake D, Raby S, Laurenson IF, Swann DG, Walsh TS. Evaluation of diagnostic methodology on the reported incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Thorax 2009; 64:516-522.
- Wilkinson TS, Dhaliwal K, Hamilton TW, Lipka AF, Farrell L, Davidson DJ, Duffin R, Conway Morris A, Haslett C, Govan JR, Gregory CD, Sallenave JM, Simpson AJ. Trappin-2 promotes early clearance of Pseudomonas aeruginosa through CD14-dependent macrophage activation and neutrophil recruitment. Am J Pathol 2009; 174:1338-1346.
- Lyon R, Conway Morris A, Caesar D, Gray S, Gray A. Chest pain presenting to the emergency department: to risk stratify with GRACE or TIMI? Resuscitation 2007; 74:90-93.
- Conway Morris A, Caesar D, Gray S, Gray A. The TIMI risk score accurately risk stratifies patients with undifferentiated chest pain presenting to an Emergency Department. Heart 2006; 92:1333-1334.
- Conway Morris A. Novel diagnostic techniques in Ventilator-acquired pneumonia. J Hosp Infect (in press)
- Conway Morris A. Triage during pandemic influenza: seeking absolution in numbers? Br J Anaes 2015; 114:865-7.
- Walsh TS, Conway Morris A, Simpson AJ. Ventilator Associated Pneumonia: can we ensure that a quality indicator does not become a game of chance? Br J Anaes 2013; 111:333-7.
- Conway Morris A, Simpson AJ, Walsh TS. Hyperinflammation and mediators of immune suppression in critical illness. In Vincent JL, ed. 2013. Annual Update in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine 2013. Berlin, Springer: pp 135-144.